Boy wakes up when parents agree to switch off life support


by Judith Van Duinen

Posted on April 12, 2018

Boy wakes up when parents agree to switch off life support

The 2-year-old boy with cancer woke up from a coma just as his heartbroken family agrees to switch off his life support.


The family agreed to switch off the life support of their dying son. His regaining strength has compared him to Jesus said the medical professionals.


Dylan Askin, from Shelton Lock, Derbyshire in the UK has an extremely rare type of lung cancer and got very sick on Good Friday 2016. His family had him christened in his hospital bed.


The doctors and his parents had made the heartbreaking decision to end his life support machine turned off the following day.


But the then-two-year-old stunned doctors at the Queens Medical Hospital in Nottingham to regain his strength and he was deemed to be stable by Easter Sunday.


Two years later, Dylan has beaten his illness. His parents Kerry and Mike are supporting an Easter campaign for Clic Sargent, a UK kids’ cancer charity.


His mom, Kerry Askin, told The Derby Telegraph: “I was strong in the belief that Dylan was our Easter miracle.


“I am not massively religious, but I did think it was a miracle. When we told our eldest son, he said, ‘He’s like Jesus’ — because he had been learning about it in school.”


Dylan received the one-in-ten-million diagnosis of Pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosis (PLCH).


Kerry said: “On Good Friday they told us things were looking bleak and that we weren’t going to get him back”.


“All the settings on all the machines were at their highest and he was still struggling.”


“We had him christened, all his family came from all over to say goodbye, including his big brother.”


“I was devastated. I hadn’t slept for days building up to it. I was crying all the time. They had actually closed off part of the unit so we could both stay with him overnight because they thought he could go at any minute”.


“All the while we were singing to him and talking to him and saying goodbye.”


Miraculously though, as they withdrew his medication and began to sedate him, his heart rate dropped to normal levels and his strength improved. He was taken off life support on his parents’ wedding anniversary on April 4.


Dylan could go home a month later after he finished his cancer treatment two months after he woke up.

Leave a Comment:

Daily Dose of Positivity

Fill out your details below to get a daily dose of good news to your inbox each day.

By submitting this form I confirm that I have read and accept the privacy policy.

Blog Search

Our sponsors